The Prize Bridge Competition, a prestigious industry awards program organized by the National Steel Bridge Alliance, honors significant and innovative steel bridges constructed in the United States.
In the past, awards have been presented in a variety of categories including those listed below:
- Major span - one or more spans greater than or equal to 400 ft.
- Long span - Longest span equal to or greater than 250 ft. but less than 400 ft.
- Medium span - Longest span equal to or greater than 140 ft. but less than 250 ft.
- Short span - No single span greater than 140 ft.
- Movable span
- Reconstructed - Having undergone major reconstruction, rehabilitation, or widening
- Special purpose - Bridge not identifiable in one of the above categories including pedestrian, pipeline, and airplane
In 2018, the legacy award categories listed above remain in the program. In addition, NSBA will also offer special recognition to one project that best exemplifies Accelerated Bridge Construction, and one project that best exemplifies a full range of Sustainable attributes.
- Accelerated bridge construction
All award-winning bridges are built of fabricated structural steel and are located in the United States (defined as the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and all U.S. territories.) Eligible bridges must have been completed and opened to traffic between May 1, 2015 and September 30, 2017.
An independent panel will judge entries on the following criteria: innovation, aesthetics, design, economics, and engineering solutions. Quality of submitted presentations, through not a criterion, is important. Entries may be judged in more than one category, but an entry can only receive one award.
Submissions will be accepted until 11:59pm, December 8, 2017.